It is a window covering that consists of horizontal and vertical slats. Window shutters can be mounted wither inside the window frame or outside the frame. However, you should choose the material and the design of window shutters carefully, before selecting the best one.
What is a window shutter made of?
Window shutters are made of diverse materials having different material properties.
Why is a window shutter needed?
A window shutter is installed for the following purposes.
- Regulating the inflow of sunlight
- Providing privacy
- Enhancing security
- Providing protection from adverse weather conditions or extremities
- Providing air flow and ventilation
- Enhancing the aesthetic value of a particular area
- Preserving furniture and carpets in a room from fading away
- Enabling potential tax savings
Types of window shutters
Window shutters are of different types. They are:
#1. Internal and external shutters
Internal shutters are solid panels provided with hinge support. These are generally made of wood or composite. Internal shutters consist of horizontal slats and thus can be easily opened or closed. In this way, internal shutters help to regulate the inflow of light.
These are available in various varieties such as partial window coverage, tier to tier, etc. The purpose of an internal window shutter is to provide privacy to the rooms.
External shutters provide protection from different weather conditions. In addition, they can also be used for decorative purpose. Exterior shutters are made of different materials like wood, steel, fibreglass, vinyl or other synthetic materials and additives.
External shutters may come in various versions like easy to fold models. Such models fit easily against slots provided on window sides. These may be operated manually or electrically.
#2. Non-functional and functional window shutters
Non functional window shutters do not have any functional value, but are used for adding decorative value to any room. Functional window shutters are provided for functional aspects such as providing protection from intrusion, raising privacy, etc. These are hinged on each side of the window and swing left or right.
#3. Louvered window shutters
Inside a window frame, there are louvers. Louvers help to mitigate rain inflow, facilitate air transfer and ventilation, filter sunlight or UV rays of sun, and prevent any impurities adhering to it. Louvers can be of different types.
- Operable or fixed louvers
- Horizontal or vertical louvers
Operable louvered shutters can be controlled by adjusting louver position. In this way they help to control sunlight, visibility aspect and airflow inside the room.
#4. Wood and composite window shutters
Window shutters are made of timber. The presence of timber makes them strong and also allows to withstand nature elements. Composites or fibreglass add dimensional stability to window shutter. Such shutters mitigate any proneness to rust or twist. Also , their low expansion properties makes them strong.
How to select best window shutter for home?
For selecting best window shutter, following parameters must be duly considered.
- Windows shutters are available in variety of attractive sizes and finishes. Clients or designers must select the design that best matches the room décor.
- One should also check the various mounting options. It is better to select window shutters that can be mounted with ease.
- One should make sure that window shutters are easy to maintain. A damp cloth must be able to clean the surface without any hassle.
- It is better to select window screens that are easily replaceable if defaced.
- Clients and designers must check the material of which window shutter is made of. The material must be durable enough to last for a long time.
These are some of the benefits that you will be able to enjoy if you consider installing these window shutter. So, by installing window shutter you can stay safe and secure with your family.
More information available here – www.exterioridea.com